Welcome to the season for Georgia strawberry picking!
Wow – based on the overwhelming popularity of my Georgia strawberry picking post last year, I decided to do a quick update for 2010. Turns out, a LOT of people love strawberries and are out looking for berry picking in Atlanta and the surrounding areas. I just got a postcard from LCCL Strawberry Farm where we went last year and they are open for business! Here are a few Georgia strawberry picking spots (and please let me know which others you know of!):
- LCCL Strawberry Farm | 3743 Old Dalton Road, Rome, GA, 30165 | Mon-Sat 8:30 a.m – 6 p.m. & Sun 1 – 5 p.m. | You might want to call ahead to make sure they still have fresh berries that day: 706.295.2587 | visit the website for prices, directions, tips, etc.: www.LCCLStrawberryFarm.com | Did I mention they also have homemade strawberry ice cream and homemade strawberry jam? Mmmm…
- Washington Farms | With two locations, you can’t miss out! | Mon – Sat 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (closed Sundays) | You might want to call ahead just in case to make sure there are ripe berries to pick | Check the website for more info: www.washingtonfarms.net | Oh yeah, they have blackberries and blueberries, too! And fun family activities throughout the warmer seasons.
- 5691 Hog Mountain Road (Hwy.53), Watkinsville, GA 30677 | Phone: (706) 769-0627
- 270 Willowwind Drive, Loganville, GA 30052 | Phone: (770) 554-8119
3. Calhoun Produce | Call ahead for availability and hours! They also have two locations:
- 5075 Hawpond Road, Ashburn, GA | 229-273-1887
- 3649 U.S. Hwy 82, West Sylvester, Georgia (Turner County) | 229-777-0824
These are just three out of many in Georgia – enough to get you started hopefully. Don’t forget that strawberry season is typically from April until mid-June, so don’t wait! You can also find more places to pick-your-own of all fruit varieties online at www.pickyourown.org/GA.htm.